Saturday, June 23, 2018

THE FIRST COUPLE HOURS (Jason)

When I heard the EMT receive word  to end CPR, I went numb. The next task was to get Avery's body to the road. The EMT offered to send for a stretcher, but I felt a desire to get her there myself. So, I picked up my beautiful girl and started up the steep, rocky mountain. To keep from tipping over backwards, my brothers-in-law, Andrew and Dane, keep their hands in the middle of my back and shoulders. As badly as I wanted to do this task alone, I wasn't able. I laid her down an a blanket and four of us took her to the top.
When I we got there, men were crying and hugging for support. I noticed them look into my face, seemingly stunned that I was not more emotional. But, my head knew what had happened, but had not sent the message to my heart. I was stunned, numb and trying to convince myself that this was just the worst nightmare ever.
The quiet of the mountain was broke by the anguished cry of Raygan (my oldest daughter). I went to her as quickly as I could and held her in my arms. I heard her cries and felt her body trembling and all the while I remained numb. We determined to get back to came and found a ride down the mountain, but I couldn't leave my little Avery there with the EMTs and police officers, all strangers to her. I was stuck choosing which daughter to accompany. In hindsight, I realize that it was irrational to stay with Avery when Raygan needed me. When I saw Tom (my Father-in-Law), I discussed with him my dilemma. He agreed to stay with Avery.
Raygan and I were ready to get back to camp. My assumption was that the news would have already made its way back the waiting family member, but Raygan knew better. She cried that "Mom is going to be so sad." When I got to camp and saw my beautiful families questioning face, I knew they didn't know. All I could do is shake my head to the unasked question, "Is Avery OK?"
The expressions of sudden despair manifested in each surviving family member was sincere, varied and heartbreaking. Amelia (my second daughter) collapsed. Becca ran to the middle of mountain meadow in which were camping and screamed and screamed. Jennifer cried and hugged.
No sooner had we gained some semblance of composure, one of the officers came for my brother-in-law Daniel. After a short departure from camp, he returned to inform us that his daughter Lydia had also passed. When I last saw her, I was certain that once she got to the ambulance they would receive the help she needed. However, in the harrowing events surrounding the work on Avery, I had missed that Lydia passed away there on the mountain together with Avery.


No comments:

Post a Comment